Friday 14 June 2013

Henry VIII was at home


A cranky Anne Boleyn

Henry VIII

Hampton Court Palace

Knot Garden
After a good nights sleep I am reading a book about Nelson’s great battles as Jane heads off for her last day at work. Time to get moving and go find some squirrels on the way to the station. Today’s main event is Hampton Court Palace, mainly built in the Tudor era, Henry VIII and many other royals lived there.
Its another train ride from Waterloo station, then a short walk across the river and I am there with the hundred or so other tourists who disgorged from the train. Lady Catherine races up to meet me and asks if I have seen the King? Then Anne Boleyn starts screaming out the window she is waiting for the King. The school kids running around don’t understand what is going on and I am not sure half the adults do either. After a while the King wanders through talking to Thomas Boleyn and ignores everyone. Then we are lead up to the waiting room to petition the King and then he and Anne have a huge fight about the Pope, getting married and the dirty laundry.  It’s a pretty amazing display and the actors do a wonderful job of bringing history alive.
Now its time to head off and explore the rest of the palace. Hmm, this is pretty dusty and boring, try another room, hmmm, all the same. Ok, cross to the other side and try William III’s apartments, then the kitchen. I don’t know if its just me but the directions and map are hard to follow, the audio guide is boring and difficult to use, nothing flows. I suppose after Windsor Castle on Monday anything would pale in comparison.
Let’s go and try the gardens. Now this is much nicer, the Knot and Pond Gardens are laid out so well. Beautifully tendered all green and lush and so well proportioned. The map for the garden is much better so I head for the maze. I have always wanted to try a maze. Its starts out a bit so so, then I get lost. Then I back track then I get more lost. I truly have no idea how to get out. There are six year old boys racing around having the time of their lives. Eventually I ask one of them which way to get out and they excitedly show me, yelling, Miss, Miss, this way and lead me round and round. They are most disappointed when I will not run with them. We eventually escape the Maze, it was quite good fun. But I am never going in a maze again solo. Time to head back to London.

Covent Garden beckons, the sun is shining, the tourists are smiling, all is well in the world. Time for some retail therapy.

No comments:

Post a Comment