Monday 24 June 2013

Strolling through Florence


Cool street art by Clet


This photo is for Alex

The waiter likes Jane

Today we have a full day to explore Florence, Jane and I set off at 7:30am in the morning before all the other tourists are out of bed. We snap all aspects of the major buildings in the morning sun without people everywhere. Jane goes on yet again another angel photo frenzy.
Now we are winding up a lane, I think Jane knows where she is taking me. I see a glimpse of a bridge ahead and then the Arno, the river running through Florence is laid out in front of me, framed by the famous Ponte Vecchio bridge. We are drawn to a sculpture, little did we know it would have greater significance later in the day. We amble along the river and explore the Ponte Vecchio, There are hundreds of locks chained to the bridge these are messages of love left by couples from all over the world.
Time for some breakfast outside on the way we capture heaps of cool street art by Clet Abraham. We saw his work in Soho, London and Paris, there is so much more here. We later find out he is based in Florence and the sculpture we found on the other bridge is his too.
Breakfast is entertaining to say the least we are bombarded by the dance of the defiant sparrows at first Jane is squealing in horror and finally she succumbs to their charms and captures their image for posterity.
Now back over the bridge and we find two very grumpy workman with bolt cutters cutting off all the locks of love. The locals and tourists are horrified, we wonder how often this happens. Today is Saint John’s day, the Patron Saint of Florence. So lots of processions and general excitement going on. I thought they where having a street party just for us.
Now for the all-important daily event in a tourist’s day, a toilet break. We find a toilet for 80 cents. Sort out our change, I can now at least identify 50 cent pieces, the other coins I am not so good on. This should be simple, I go in and lock the door all is well. The problem is I can’t get out, I turn the lock right, the left, then every other way, the door will not open. I try again and again and start to get a bit panicky, I think well at least Jane is outside she will come and get me. Then miraculously the door opens, relief I am out. Now to find Jane and I realize she is locked in, the attendant has a key and is opening Jane’s door, she had been locked in as well. Her panic state is even worst than mine. It takes a few minutes for us to calm down.  
Time for our walking tour, but that idea is quickly ditched when we find out the Uffizi, the main gallery in Florence (Florentines would say the world) is open as it is Saints day. So we meet Sue and hot tail it down to the gallery before all the other tourists find out. There is no line, we get straight in and there are hardly any people in here. Result, usually you need reserve tickets or the lines take hours in here.
We start off with the number one on my list the Birth of Venus by Botticelli. Amazing to see it up close and real with about half dozen people in the room as opposed to the usual hundreds. I have to admit I still love the painting but the colours are very underwhelming in real life. Seeing as the painting is 500 years old I won’t complain that the postcards look brighter and better. More art is discovered, angels are drooled over by Jane and we have a well deserved break on the terrace overlooking the city, with glimpses of the domes of the duomo. Don’t tell Jane but there are sparrows here as well, I don’t think she sees them.
Lots more art and then it is time for the all important exit through the gift shop, we shop up a storm and are very happy with our purchases. After this gift shop we are routed through another gift shop for designer labels, then another for kids and finally the bookshop. This is my kind of museum, 4 gift shops in the way out.
Now we board the hop on hop off off bus and see more of the sights of Florence, the view from Piazzale Michelangelo, where Gailieo died, a Ferrari to much to recount today. Overall the bus tour puts Florence in perspective I can see the early influences, the Roman fortifications and layout, Florentine style and then the 1800’s grand house and squares that have all made this great city what it is today. The even tried a contemporary art piece about 100 years ago but Florentines still complain about it and it does look out of place to me stuck on a roundabout.
I really like Florence it is a serious and sophisticated city, quite different from the other regions we have visited. On this trip we are only scratching the surface there is a lot more to explore.
Now time for shopping belts, bags, gloves and many other bargains haggled for in markets and shops. Jane got the bargain of the day with a red leather shopping hold all. We are still on our never ending search for Gillis, to get a Florentine biscuit with caramel and chocolate.  Alas a rain storm hits and with hundreds of other tourists we scramble for the nearest cover. Out of nowhere within in seconds the street sellers are on the streets with umbrellas and plastic ponchos, “name your price” they say. Where do the keep all this stuff? We are only 5 minutes from our accommodation so we settle for some yummy cakes and head back for a cup of tea.
Tonight’s dinner is at La Posta, recommended by some people we met yesterday, after a few wrong turns in navigation (oops, that was me) and standing in McDonalds out of the rain we find it. A great meal and the entertaining waiter took a particular liking to Jane. The evening closed nicely with nicely with fireworks and finally we found our Florentines.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for the photo! Recommend reading Dan Brown's new book - Inferno - for another layer of Firenze mystique to oak up while you're there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That book is everywhere here and so many tourists are carrying it as well. I did not know it was based in Florence - that will be on my list for when I get back. Something to make the Italy experience last even longer.

      Delete
  2. Also, I think that's a Ferrari F12. Never seen one in the metal. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Also went to a Ferrari shop and looked to buy something for you, but way out of my price range., a pencil case was 18 euros. Some kids at the airport where dressed head to toe in Ferrari they obviously had a good trip to Italy.

      Delete
  3. Comments? Who's got time for comments, I feel like I've run a marathon each time I read your blog. I don't know how you had time to do all the things you've done AND still write a blog. I'm exhausted and I'm just reading about your adventures. Oh, how I long to go back to Italy. Enjoy the rest of your trip. Have thoroughly loved your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it is pretty exhausting doing everything and blogging but a nice way to settle down after big days and who needs sleep anyway. Glad you are enjoying the blog cant wait to see you and chat about all the rest of the trip that is not in the blog. I understand so much more of your dilemas now with packing for different climates and fitting in all the purchases.

      Delete