Tuesday 3 October 2017

Audi Tace Vide (Hear, see, be silent)


Path of Illumination, Tasmanian Blackwood












I step out into the crisp autumn air and the first thing to cross my path is a squirrel, a few steps later there is a mouse. The change of season has got everyone scurrying around. Time to get on the train, everyone is running to different doors and squishing in, I make it. This is more crowded than Tokyo in rush hour!

The main event today is a tour of Freemasons Hall. The building has intrigued me since the first time I saw it and finally, today is the day to do a tour. Steve, our guide knows his stuff and shares great insights into the rituals of freemasons, the building and all the symbology. Built in the 1930’s in art deco style with sweeping staircases and grandiose halls this is impressive.

Th path of illuminations is made of Tasmania Blackwood. Everywhere you look there is something to delight the eye. My absolute favourite bit is the memorial to freemasons who died in WW1. Covered in symbology and statues its a masterpiece. After the tour we do an impromptu photo shoot on the main staircase.

The building has been used in many movies including Bond films and the TV show, Spooks.

Early day today so its home to Ladywell Lodge.  Reading the new Time out magazine on the train and burst out laughing. A few quotes from the most ridiculous things overheard in London this week.

  • Did you know you can see maps through your iPhone? I think its called argumentative reality.
  • Seriously, though, does halloumi make you super sassy?
  • I think I am more upset about Uber than I was about Brexit.

2 comments:

  1. OMG, so much nostalgia, I not only love that part of London and the walk down to covent garden. But that's where my lodge was based and where we had our meetings. Such a beautiful building. Josh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well you learn something new every day. Have a few more questions for you about the masons when I get home then.

      Delete