Wednesday 11 July 2018

Its coming home

Billy Connely mural

Love Hairy Coo's

A significant day, pulling down the shell of
Glasgow School of Arts

Mackintosh at the Willow

Mackintosh at the Willow

Deep fired Mars Bar going in, 2 mins to cook

The lovely lady serving up

The first bite of deep fried mars bar

Farewell antics at Glasgow Airport
Its coming home, its coming home is the chant that is reverberating through the UK this morning. I don’t think they are focusing on my journey home but a little thing called a football match (World Cup semi-final England v’s Croatia) that is preoccupying the nation.

Down to reception for a wee chat, would we be able to check out later today? Aye, thats not a problem. Score, now we have the day to get things done and pack.

I am off down the street for some murals and a visit to the Gallery of Modern Art, Jane is up the cathedral and necropolis area. With a plan to meet outside Mackintosh at the Willows for lunch.

Its 10 mins before its time to meet Jane and I have legged uphill to Sauchiehall Street, if I just go a bit further, hmm, another roadblock, down a smelly lane, up an alley. Yes, today is the day the crane is in and they are knocking down the iconic Glasgow School of Arts building after the second devastating fire. A bit of history is going before my eyes, but the good news is they plan to remove and preserve the original top of the building to be used in the rebuild.

There are many theories running around Glasgow as to the source of the fire (coincidentally on the 150th anniversary of the architect, Charles Rennie Mackintosh’s birth). It will be very interesting to see what the investigators conclude.

Our lunch spot is Mackintosh on Willow, this is the original tea rooms rebuilt and they have only just opened. Lucky we could get in today to road test. Everything is delicious, a perfect last meal for the Outlander Odyssey with cake. 

Ok, well the truth is Jane thinks I am going back to pack and it is the end but little does she know I have one last thing on my Scotland list, a deep fried mars bar. They are supposed to have been invented in Scotland, specifically Glasgow but according to many locals, we meet it is a bit of a myth and one even thinks they originated in New Zealand. Ever since I saw the shop on Monday Jane has been vehemently opposed to me getting one as she thinks she will have to take me to a hospital with food poisoning if I eat one. So sans Jane in I go, aye love, 2 pounds 50, please. Done. Aye. Out from the fridge comes the Mars Bar, dip in batter and two minutes later I have the hot delicacy in my hand. What to do now? Ok, here it goes, cringe, bite, yep, batter and mars bar pretty much as expected. Revolting but doable. Better than Irn-Bru I say.

Now we are through security at Glasgow Airport and into shops. A loud cheer goes, up England has scored a goal! Are they English or Scottish cheering? I want to know most Scottish say they will not cheer for England, but they are starting to get caught up in the fun of it all. 

Bye Jane. Sob. HELLO Sydney I am on my way!


1 comment:

  1. Home, safe and sound, uneventful journey - movies and sleep. Back to work today and its -1 degrees as I get on the train. That is a shock to the system.

    ReplyDelete