Sunday 17 June 2012

Corridors of Power


Boudica and Big Ben

Houses of Parliament

Jane and I are up early this morning to do our hair and makeup as there are rumors the princes will be coming down the mall today on horseback.
First I go to Houses of Parliament it only took 15 mins to get to the Westminster but 10 minutes to make my way to the top. How far underground are these tunnels?
There are security cameras everywhere, get a photo ID in a second and stand there spread for the pat down. Then we start the tour, yet another place that started out as a royal palace in 11th century and then adapted as needs changed. Fire is a great catalyst for change in London, a fire destroys a building and something even better replaces it.
Sir Charles Barry in the mid 19th century was the main architect to deliver what we see today. But the person that really interests me is Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin who was responsible for all the gothic detail. He sounds like he was pretty intense guy who liked to get everything perfect. The number of ideas he must have had in one day is phenomenal. I later learnt that he designed some churches in Australia as well, one in Chippendale and another in Berrima. That’s another excursion when I get home.
As we explore the buildings we follow the route the Queen takes when she opens parliament. I go for the full experience and pretend I am the Queen as I regally walk the corridors. Apparently when the Queen is in parliament her standard (flag) is flown, much like saying Elvis is in the building.
Westminster Hall is a feat of medieval engineering and was the largest hall in Europe when it was built. I particularly like the wooden beams in the roof that span across the massive gap, imagine the effort that must have taken. The hall also has a grotty slightly uneven stone floor, its pretty weird to think so many historic events have taken place under my feet. Coronations, Guy Fawkes trial and even the Queen Mum lied here in state.

No comments:

Post a Comment