Tuesday 12 June 2012

Time team excursion

Going solo in the rain
British Museum
The Rosetta Stone is in there somewhere
Ramessess II
Egyptian Art
It’s pouring rain the perfect day for a trip to the British Museum. Today I am flying solo and tackled the train and tube by myself.
So along with a few thousand other tourists I jostle and jiggle to see the Rosetta Stone. Everything in London is bigger or smaller than I expected, in this case the script is so much smaller than my expectation.
From here I tour the Egyptian collection with my personal Egyptologist. The multimedia guide is first rate and provides context to the collection, shows pictures of where the items where discovered and lots of pictures to click on and see all the details.
The head of Ramessess II is my standout favourite at 7 tonne it is an impressive site. Also like that it was nicked by one of my favorite antiquity explorers, Giovanni Belzoni a resourceful and dubious character.
The Mummy of Artemidous shows and interesting blend of cultures with writing in greek, portrait in the roman style and burial in Egyptian.
Next I do the Parthenon tour and save myself a trip to Greece. Hyperventilating now as I have a Time Team excursion through early Britain history, is there something here that Phil has found? Lastly I again climb the massive staircases to Level 5 to meet a fierce looking samurai warrior ready for battle. What a day, think I even figured out why a street in Hawthorn is called Elgin. But don’t know why the Easter Island statutes have nipples so I will be back.
Time for a restorative cup of tea and then a bit more shopping.


2 comments:

  1. Ah yes, I have always assumed that Elgin st was named after that Lord of the Marbles!

    ReplyDelete