Thursday 4 July 2013

A wander through London

Platform 9 3/4

Roman Ampithetre

La Ghirlandra by Rossetti

Guildhall
I wake up it is very sunny and the house is quite, where is Jane? I look at the time and its 8:58am. The tourist trail is going to be late starting today.  Stephen and I catch up over Skype he is eating his dinner whilst I am eating breakfast.
First stop today is Platform 9 ¾ at Kings Cross station from the famous Harry Potter series. I did not realize how famous until I saw how long the line is to take your photo with the half embedded trolley.  No time for that today, its onto the British library.
Its just a block down the street, I arrive and am confused this is a normal brick building, where are the ornate columns, the over imposing statues and other British paraphernalia. I find out the library was part of the British Museum and the current library was only built about 20 years ago. As it is purpose built the library has all the right rooms for storing the precious collection. More Captain Cook, a drawing from the Endeavour voyage by Tupia (unfortunately in New Zealand). There is a Magna Carta, letter from Napolean to his brother that was intercepted by Nelson a week before the famous battle, Handels music, illuminated manuscripts. Lots of great treasures well off the tourist trail another good recommendation by Jane.
Now some fancy tube station changes and I quickly arrive at Guildhall Art Gallery and save myself a long walk. The jewel of the collection is by Rossetti. It’s a pleasure to roam around an art gallery with hardly anyone in it and lots of great art. The best bit though is the Roman Amphitheater in the basement, only uncovered in 1980’s. Then the security guard asks me have I seen Guildhall, I don’t even know what he is talking about, he directs me and I am in a massive hall built in 1411 all to myself. Then the next security guard sees I am impressed and directs me to the clock museum around a corner and up some stairs. I think I have done the secret security guard tour of Guildhall.
Back onto the tube for the final leg. Thought I better go back to National Gallery and see The Fighting Temeriane again, from Skyfall scene where Bond meets Q and I had seen the spot where Turner saw it yesterday. Its afternoon the place is packed out every room is chockers. Navigate to Room 34 find a seat and am confused, Turner, Turner, Turner, blank spot. The painting voted by the public as the most important in Britain is out for cleaning. Oh well will have to console myself with a cup of tea and cake in my favourite café.
Final stop shopping for tonight’s dinner fish, veggies and raspberries then home on the fast train to Ladywell Lodge.

2 comments:

  1. Am not sure about this travelling malarky Catherine, sounds like you are now addicted to bubbles of both French and Italian variety and as for an 8:58 sleep in... I am just wondering who kidnapped our Catherine!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Normal programming will recommence next Tuesday.

      Delete