Sunday 19 May 2019

Scooter girl rides again

Finally a decent shot of Merlion

Singapore Straight full of boats

Scooter girl

Waving goodbye to Marina Bay Sands

Finally met one of the fast car guys,
he was lovely

Flossy the dog, out enjoying Sunday
lunch with her family

Waterfall at Jewel at Changi

Airport train between terminals T2 and T3
goes right by the waterfall
(also caught this train just for the fun of it)
Late checkout arranged so thats brilliant I can get out and about for a bit longer as there is always just one more thing I want to do. Lets walk back over to Merlion and hustle with the Chinese tourists and see if I can get a better shot. The Merlion is the quintessential image of Singapore and is a mythical creature with a lion's head and the body of a fish. Gee, these ladies are pushy, this noisy one thinks I want a photo with her, no lady you have had your turn move on, please. Now another one wants a photo with me, I don’t have Bec today what is going on?

Let’s escape this madhouse and do the thing that I liked the best in Singapore, scootering. Its flat, there are lots of paths and places to explore. The scooter lady tells me to take the red one as it is faster. Ok, then, yep its heaps faster, off I go under the bridge and into new territory. Just at the same time, the wind arrives and then it pours down. Are these scooters rain magnets? A bit of kit adjustment and I am off again, along the river, around the parliament precinct, hello Elgin Bridge. Is there something called Elgin in every country? Its raining even harder, time to shelter and watch the boats go by. 

Eventually, the rain eases and onwards I travel, I think this is where I turn. Bit of green at the end of the street and yes I have made it to the base of Fort Canning Park, but how do I cross the road and get to the top of the hill? Whizz a bit further down and find a crossing but the hill still looks insurmountable. A French guy out for a run, assures me if I just gun it straight up that path with the workman I will be there. Hmm, not too sure, he says its fine its electric you will make it and I am running that way too, throttle on full, go. Zoom, zoom, stop, I make it halfway. French guy comes running up behind and offers to push it the rest of the way up the hill. I decline and do it myself and then I am off and going again around to Raffles House. I have made the highest point and think it is kind of weird that 200 years ago when Raffles built his house he did not know he would have such a good view of Marina Bay Sands.

Photos done, starting to rain again, time to move on, oh oh, the scooter wont start, its displaying a message E16. What do I do now? Eventually, I take a gamble and push straight towards Marina Bay Sands, down 50+ steps, clunk, clunk, I hope travel insurance covers me if this scooter is broken. The gamble worked,  walking through another new area now and then I see the bay and can short cut back to scooter place. 

They give me a new scooter and zoom, I am off again out to Marina Barrage, I want to see the otters but they are not home today, its so good zooming along rather than walking, this really is the perfect way to explore Singapore. The barrage creates the barrier between the fresh water in Marina Bay and the sea. I figure out I can scooter right to the top of the barrage building, everything is awesome! Wind starting to pick up, that means more rain is on the way time to head back. Another bird from my Singapore top ten list flys by. That's 8 out of a possible 10, much higher success rate using the Rikki ‘homemade mini guide’ method.

I return to the room a drenched rat, time to shower and rethink my packing I won't be wearing these shoes home to Oz. The final bit of the journey also has a long list of things to the Jewel, only opened a few weeks ago it is a shopping centre centred around an amazing indoor waterfall and lots of extra experiences like a virtual race on your push bike with a taxiing plane.  Its a madhouse everyone in Singapore must be here, the Pokemon shop is the most popular, I could do a frozen custard at the Shake Shack but there is no way I am getting in that line. Check-in is bizarre all automated and a bit too complicated for my travelling brain, thankfully Bec clued me in earlier in the week. Now onto the butterfly garden and see if I can find which airport train goes through the centre of jewel. You could spend a week at Changi Airport there is so much to do. Next stop home!

1 comment:

  1. My favourite blog post of the whole trip :) Went with you everywhere as I read this.. looks like i need to go back to Singapore to get in a few more things...

    ReplyDelete