Wednesday 15 May 2019

Solo strolling

Selfies in my new orchid dress

Divine

Tekka market was intense

Liked the flower garlands the best,
individual flowers are threaded onto string

House of Tan Ten Niah

Street mural

Waiting for a blessing? It was hard
to understand what was going on

Created an artwork at the gallery

My fav car so far

Light show from other side of the bay

Up and attem’ its an early start to avoid some of the heat, first stop is the ginger garden at the Singapore Botanical Gardens, again lots of joggers and walkers. Lets wander up this path to see what we can find, its all lush, green and beautiful.  A dash from the bushes….. I think it is jungle fowl,,,,, that counts as a new international bird!  All chickens evolved from the jungle fowls of south-east Asia, immigration at its best?

Hmm, have to box around the old ladies practising sword moves (with real swords) and now into the National Orchid Garden I go. It is drop dead gorgeous from the first step, beautiful orchids, aesthetically arrange rocks, a nature scene of perfection. Whats that? I think it’s a hummingbird? Get around the other side for a closer look, its an olive-backed sunbird. Chalk up another international bird.

On I go, every twist and turn of the trail is beautiful, orchids in all sizes and colours another feast for the senses. What’s this building, its the VIP section, ok its time to find Lady Diana’s orchid. Done its a lovely white serene flower, pity it is placed against a white wall. Lets get the design school in here to paint this wall a different colour, please.

Sweating profusely in my new orchid pattern dress, its time to cool down in the air-conditioned gift shop, they have flower themed Christmas ornaments. Happy days! Eventually, its time to move on and meander down through the bottom half of the garden. Feet sore, need to rest, keep walking only 500 metres to go…. There is a lake, with a perfectly positioned bench in deep shade, time for a muesli bar and a drink. (Yes, Beck I am drinking). The lake is moving, is it fish? Oops its turtles they entertain me during my break, then pigeons come in for the attack, can't seem to shoo them away, they are scarier than the monkeys yesterday.

Finally, I make it to the MRT and hop on a train I can smell I have arrived from the moment the train doors open, this is Little India. Lots to see here including Tekka Market, with giant durians and don’t look at the men cutting off fish heads and bits of meat with cleavers. Yuk. This is intense. Onto see all the flower garland shops, love it and then the crazy colours of the house of Tan Teng Niah, shoes off for the Sri Veeramakaliamman Temple, lots of people praying no idea really whats going on. A quick trip down to Kampong Glam, the best bit is all the unique design shops in Haji Lane. Now its time to get out of this sun / photo / shopping frenzy and have a rest.
 
Revitalised by air-air-conditioning its off to the National Gallery I go, its two old buildings the city hall and supreme court joined with a modern extension by Norman Foster and repurposed into a gallery. Its a maze of all different types of art, Georgette Chen is definite favourite. But I think the art back in the Conrad is more my style. Back to base and more Ferraris parked out the front, I have lost count of how many I have seen - it seems like the most popular car in Singapore! 

Final step count for the day: 25,054 (16.72km)
News from home: Game of Thrones fans are angry at plotline of the final season, google 'bad writers' is a thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment