Sunday 8 June 2014

A photographers paradise

Getting creative
Looking from Brooklyn towards Empire
State Building through Washington Bridge 

He who must be obeyed

I like this place

Wall st area across the Hudson River

Jane's Carousel

Looking from Brooklyn Bridge

Crossing Brooklyn Bridge
It’s a beautiful Sunday morning and I am on a train going South. Look at all those confused tourists asking questions, that was me this time last week. Have I just jinxed myself by having that thought? No, all is well I make it to my destination, Brooklyn.
Up the steps from the subway and I am in a beautiful green park, a feeling of calm washes over me, its time to explore. Lots of tourists seem to be walking down, I assume that is towards the water so I head that way. What’s that, a bridge lined up perfectly in between the buildings. What, you can see the Empire State Building perfectly framed. Snap, snap, zoom, stand in middle of road, opps, there is a car, get off road, back on road. Snap, snap.
I am in Dumbo, a section of Brooklyn that once was full of big industrial factories now it is has a massive art and tech scene, even Etsy have their head office here.
Now I walk down the water for more photos of Washington Bridge, there is even a little beach so I put my hand in the Hudson River and conquer another part of the world. Along the boardwalk, around the streets, up lanes and down dales. Snapping away at the factories, bridges and street art. Did I not mention street art yet? One of the very first pieces I see is an Obey symbol. Lucky I wore my Obey tshirt today. A french tourist valiantly tries to get a photo of me in the t-shirt with the art on the wall, alas the lighting is all wrong and it is not to be.
Moving further along I go to the very end of the promenade for great views of Wall St area of the city across the water. There is even a blimp flying around behind the large buildings.
It’s a very hot day there are families and friends having fun in the sun everywhere, at one little girls party they are throwing water bombs at each other until it ends in tears.
Coming back along the promenade from another direction I come across Jane’s carousel, a merry-go-round. Time for action. I whip out two dollars in a flash, have my ticket and I am on my horse Trixy in record time. The music starts up, we start off slow and then gather speed. Then round and round we go with flashes of the Washington Bridge, Brooklyn Bridge, Hudson River and amused parents. Love it.
Lots more exploring and then I am at the stairs that lead to Brooklyn Bridge. Goodbye Brooklyn, hello tourist city. The bridge is packed, one side for bikes, one side for walkers. But lots of the tourists don’t get it and there is a lot of screaming, whistle blowing and swearing. The Bridge is 130 years old and suspended on cables, it’s a fascinating bit of engineering. Cars are roaring along below the pathway with the odd screech of breaks that makes everyone on the bridge jump. Finally I make the 1.7km hike unscathed.
What a lovely way to spend a sunny Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment