Thursday 12 June 2014

Everything is big

Library of Congress, also includes
Thomas Jefferson's books

American Indian Museum,
 great indigenous food in here

American and Russian spacesuits side by side

Me on the moon

Found my first castle in America, looked out of place
with all the other buildings on the mall

Michelle Obama's inauguration gown
and Jimmy Choo shoes from 2013

The Love symbol, 3 cities and counting
I wake up to grey skies but no rain, so out I go to explore. Hop on the metro to Union Square and I am walking down towards the Captiol building and get my first glimpse of the dome. It’s big. Get there and it’s even bigger. First visit is into the Supreme Court, TV cameras out the front there is going to be an indictment announced today so everyone is in a tiz and nothing much to see here, move on. Lets cross over to Library of Congress, this is big, but dull grey on the outside after wading through hordes of school kids to get in its, much, much better on the inside. Amazing architecture, ornate staircases and painted roofs but only two books, I suspect the books are hidden out the back away from tourists.
Its still grey with spots of rain so decide I will stay in the museums for the rest of the day. We will not go through a blow by blow account of the amazing encounters with past and recent history that occurred today. Here is the very short version.
American Indian was a compelling building I just had to go in, lots of design and colour in all the pieces, from mittens in Alaska to baskets in the south. Great café with American Indian traditional food from different areas set beside a waterfall. Best place along the museum strip for lunch.
Air and Space be still my beating heat, finally I am here. Planes, space stuff, did I mention more space stuff. I want to be like the little kids and put on an astronaut suit and run around. To think everything in this museum was invented in the last 100 years, from the Wright brothers plane through to drones, we really have accomplished a lot. The most striking thought is many of the astronaut stories I have read talk about how everything was held together with gaffa tape and tin foil. Well when you see them up close that is right! How they ever got to the moon and back in some of this equipment is amazing.
American History, not on of my favourite topics (except civil war) and in my opinion often has a narrow viewpoint. Well this museum is superb, highlights included the March on Washington in 1963 for civil rights and the First Lady dresses. I even saw the star spangled banner the flag that inspired their national anthem. Alas I missed out on finding Michael Jackson’s glove.
The day summary is big streets, big statues, big buildings and big ideas. After all that sensory input, so tired now must get back to the circle, for tomorrow is another day.

2 comments:

  1. Finally up to date with your exploits and I am exhausted just reading what you have accomplished in the time. You're going to plan MY next trip!! Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well maybe I just might invite myself along on your next trip. I hope you have your New York and Washington albums ready for our 'traditional' post holiday review.

      Delete