Saturday 7 June 2014

Lady of the night





Time to head a few blocks down 5th avenue with the million other tourists to one of my favorite places, Rockefeller Centre. With tickets ready I am through security and ushered to the lift. This time I know what to expect but I still love it. The roof of the lift is clear glass and there are lights on every floor as we ascend it looks and sounds like we are going warp speed on the Starship Enterprise.
Right I made it, everyone is crowding around watching the sun go down. Then gradually it starts to happen, the light changes, Times Square gets brighter and then the World Trade Centre twinkles in the fading light. I wonder if that is intentional. But all eyes are on the Empire State Building. The colours mingle, the cameras snap and and a smart bunch of Indian guys are using their iPhone lights to illuminate faces to get better photos, this quickly catches on and everyone is doing it.
Eventually it is totally dark and for as far as the eye can see in every direction New York is an intricate maze of dazzling lights. A sight to be seen.



1 comment: