Saturday 7 June 2014

Grit and street art

Flatiron in the morning sunshine

Invadr

Highline

Typical building in the area

By GilfNYC an artist from Brooklyn

The Strand Bookstore
Down into the subway I go and emerge at 23rd street at the iconic Flatiron building. Photo’s done, now its time to get moving I have a target in my sights, will I get it? I can tell I have come down from the rarified air of uptown as I walk along the street over post Friday night vomit, beer bottles and rubber gloves. 
Keep on going, one more block and yes I don’t even have to hunt for it, its there in plain view my first American Invader, and its one of his bigger pieces looking a little bit damaged now. Tick. Conveniently Invader placed his work close to steps for the Highline so up I go to escape the grottiness. The Highline is an old elevated railway track that has been converted into a garden, it’s a neat idea and glorious in the sun. Gives quite a different perspective of the old buildings and even glimpses of the Hudson River.
I get to the end of the Highline and there is market stalls. Yes, bracelets my favourite holiday shopping item. Hmm, which one will I have? The guy is very patient whilst I try them all on. Now I have a very unique souvenir of New York.
On to continue the leisurely street art hunt. A few good pieces, fire trucks running around and a teddy bear suspended from a rope in the air across an intersection. Is it art or a joke? There is another closed book store, am I ever going to find a bookstore in this city?
What’s that green ahead, my navigation must be working today. Its Washington Square Park. Once I get in it’s a curious mix of locals, tourists, hobos and a guy playing a piano. Time for an icecream, $3 thank you Mam. So formal. Now I am going to sit down in the shade and enjoy the music.
Onwards to shopping, lots of little funky shops intermingled with street art, Elizabeth St is my favourite. A new handbag and a few other things to be squashed into my luggage at some later date.
Ok time to get serious about finding a bookshop lets hop on the subway back to Union Square and head up Broadway to the Strand. Its getting very hot and being Saturday people are everywhere. Now this is a bookshop, 4 levels, starts with books about New York, then classics. This place is good, a true example of the saying, everything is bigger and better in America.
Back on the subway to home, let’s dump this stuff and get ready for tonight’s event. Do I wear the top of the rock sequined number or make art not war? Decisions, decisions.

2 comments:

  1. Your photo of the Flatiron building makes it look extra flat!!! Optical illusion I think. Just got a bit of extra information on it from wikipedia and wonder if you have seen this photo of the view from inside a 'point' office (not that skinny after all)!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatiron_Building#mediaviewer/File:Flatiron_Building_252930243_a57b1b3f78.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the link to the photo that is much bigger on the inside than it looked to me. In a city with so many architectural styles, Flatiron really stands out.

      Delete