Tuesday 4 April 2017

A room (or two) with a view

Sumida River

View from Tokyo Sky Tree

Sumida Hokusai Museum

Two of Hokusai's well know works

Who thinks I drank this?

My two new best friends, Naka and Rayen

Guess which of these buildings is affectionally known as
'The Poo Building' 

Great way to travel

Crowds are a bit intense in the afternoon

Can't get enough of these
beautiful blossoms

The sun is shining and I have one more free day to traipse around. First choice is Tokyo Sky Tree, the tallest tower in the world and the second highest structure in the world after Burj Khalifa in Dubai. ts not too far away, so I decide to walk. Pushbike coming fast, avoid, another one, avoid. Cherry trees flowering, turn, snap, snap. The river more cherry trees - this is divine. Old man, maybe a drunk at the best spot. Opps, he is a bit smelly, quick snap and move away. Across the bridge I go and onwards to more snapping and the tower. What is it with me and having to go to the top of every major structure in every city. Anyhow it's all worth, now I can see how big Tokyo is. Well actually I can't see where is ends there are just grey smudges at the end and everything is densely packed. This feels like the first touristy place I have been too, so next stop must be the gift shop.

Onwards to the Sumida Hokusai Museum, only recently opened I hoped it would be finished by the time of my trip. Hokusai is my fav Japanese artist (like most Western people). It would be pretty crazy to come to Japan and not see an original work. Tick. Tick. Tick. Plus there is a replica of his study that is so life like. Alas there is no point in visiting the gift shop here, I think I have every book, fridge magnet and postcard of his work in existence. But I just better check. Score, found a new inside outside postcard!

Now its time to find the famous poo building. Designed by Phillip Stark for Asahi Beer it is hard to miss. The building next door is the corporate headquarters and there is a little-known bar on the 22nd floor, today is a perfect day to see the views. So into the building I go, no security, office workers changing floors between accounts and IT. I can just get off at any of the floors. This does not happen in Sydney anymore. Opps, that man is out of uniform he has a grey suit with a subtle pinstripe. I think we have a rebel in the building. (All other office workers I have seen so far wear a navy suit, white shirt and plain tie). At the top and after buying the obligatory drink I shuffle to get a spot at the window. The view is perfect above the river, I have a beer glass, can’t remember how I focus on close and far subjects. Will I text Stephen? The lady next to me starts chatting in broken Japanese / English we figure out where we are from, talk about how far it is to Australia and cherry blossoms. Now her friend is getting in on the conversation. They get my name a bit mixed up and start calling me Caroline. I think they may have had one too many beverages today. Now the whole place is listening to our conversation, this is entertainment fuelled by Asahi. Finally, I remember how to do the beer photo and we are good to go.

Back down in the lift, its packed, and everyone bows as they leave the lift. Why? Should I? Will have to find out what that means.  It's time for some food, I am getting really game now - there is one of those order though the vending machine places. Lets try that, No 11 is my choice - the machine takes the train card for payment so lets try that as well. It all works. An older Japanese couple that I assume have come in to the city to visit the cherry blossoms for the day follow my lead and are also pleased when they succeed as well. Lots of happy people in town today, I will tell you about the man who likes wallabies another time. Retirees must be the same all over the world up for a chat and a story.

There is a new mode of transport I could try, will I or won't I. It could be fun, they go pretty fast. Yes, let's give it a go and in true tourist style I am whisked away by Taki for a ride in rickshaw. This is the best, no walking, going to all the best spots and feeling like the princess I am. Taki tells lots of stories and answers all my questions. Plus does photos, what more could a girl ask for.

It's getting cold but there is still a bit of daylight left so time for Nakamise shopping street, Sensoji temple and more cherry blossoms. Another top notch day, old and new, strange and cool all at the same time. Number of photos taken = lots.

Tomorrow the tour starts and I hereby resign from any navigation or timing responsibilities from this point forward and can just enjoy all Japan has to offer.

1 comment:

  1. I vote that you drank the Asahi :) one of my fav Japanese beers.

    ReplyDelete