Friday 7 April 2017

Tokyo style

Frozen tuna cut with a band saw 
Fresh tuna sliced very thin with a
massive sword

Yummy, eels. Not.

Style on the streets of Ginza

My fav section in Mitsukoshi department store, china

Dear Ginza building,
hidden in a side street
but I found it

Mikimoto 

The main drag

Nissan crossing

Uneo Park
As we approach today's first stop the smell hits us first, we are on our way to Tsukiji fish market the biggest in the world that has been in operation since the Edo period. I am lucky to be able to visit as the market will soon be closed and relocated to make way for 2020 Tokyo Olympics. Forklift drivers are zooming in and out of the passageways, frozen tuna fish is getting cut with band saws and fresh tuna cut with what looks like samurai swords, there is every kind of fish imaginable. But enough is enough get me out of here and back to the clean streets of Tokyo.

Now the rest of the day is mine I have a plan (which will not surprise anyone) my focus is architecture and shopping in Ginza. I have planned out a route to take in a selection of modern buildings.

But first, let's follow the Jane Smith school of travel advice and go to the top floor of a department store for early lunch and a sit-down. Ok, I am in Mitsukoshi (my fav) and there are two choices, traditional Japanese or Harrods. Hmm, I give in, have had enough rice and fish for today. Harrods it is for a pot of real tea and sandwiches.

Re-energised its time to do my self-made architecture tour including Dear Ginza, Mikimoto Boutique, Apple store, De Beers building and more. The Ginza area started out as the site of the shotguns original silver mint. Nowadays every square metre of land is worth at least US$100,000 this leads to some very interesting modern buildings on a small footprint.

Now the walking is done, let's go shopping. I really enjoy the kimono and china sections in Mitsukoshi and find a few bits and pieces at the biggest Uniqlo store in the world. Uniqlo has a great welcome floor to explain everything on the different floors, funky decor and an amazing t-shirt bar.

The plan is to go and see one act of a play at the Kabuki theatre however the sky is now perfect blue so back on the train to Ueno Park to have a hanami (party under cherry blossoms) of my own. With a green tea strawberry cake from the food hall at Mitsubishi.

I have one mission left in Tokyo to find a fridge magnet. It's harder than you would think.

No comments:

Post a Comment