Saturday 1 April 2017

Chasing cherry blossoms (Uneo Park, Tokyo National Museum)







Hanami party in progress



Near where I am staying
I am a woman in a new city with a mission, so what if it is raining and 4 degrees outside. At least that means I can wear the coat. Switch plans to rainy day option. So back in a taxi and up to Uneo station. It's time to eat something, there is one of those bakery type places, lets try that. What are those women doing, get a tray and your own tongs. Pick something out, but what are these delights? Ah, put my glasses on and now I can see English descriptions. Not that that helps me - red bean paste? Its comes down looks, the rabbit or the panda. The rabbit bun wins. Gee, I hope I can get a cup of tea to go with this, not that green stuff. Yes, ‘normal’ tea is called English tea. Another win. Now to pay, money on the silver tray, change comes back and yes that is my first transaction in yen. The rabbit is full of custard and delicious. The only drama is I can’t figure out how to open the milk, no matter what I try.
Its still raining and maybe even colder, but up into Uneo Park I go nothing is stopping me now. This is more like it, there are cherry trees flowering, lots of them, lots of people doing selfies and setting up for hanami parties, who cares about the weather, much snapping and exploring ensues.

Finally my toes are frozen, it's time to get inside. The treasures of the Tokyo National Museum await. The works have all been curated to the season and cherry blossoms abound, in paintings, wood block prints, lacquer boxes, scrolls, kimonos, everything. It is all exquisite and well laid out. As usual there is a trusty app with stories to give me that much-needed context.

My tummy is rumbling, need food. That place in the garden looks nice. Ok, I think you have to press buttons to get a seat in this place. Hmm, that machine is for car parking. Eventually I figure it out and get my ticket. Now sitting waiting with other groups, numbers get called out and people go up. Hmm, I cant understand any of the numbers this is going to be interesting. I guess when it is time for my number and hold it up. I get a nod and a ‘hei’. Phew another hurdle jumped.

Time for the toilet, did you need to know that? Well, every toilet is crazy, buttons galore and most play music to cover the sound. Everything in Japan is an experience, what a first day!


2 comments:

  1. I'll be toilet renovating - get pictures, or video with sound for my inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I will be doing a compilation of my toilet snaps :)

      Delete