Sunday 2 April 2017

Old and new (Harajuku to Shibuya)

Breakfast

First train ride and I have a new buddy

Meiji Shrine


Takeshita Dora

Yoyogi Park

Shibuya Crossing

Shibuya Crossing

2 mins away from returning to base
 and this lovely lady appears,
full white face makeup as well
Everything is still new, the first new thing to try today is breakfast. I decide to wear the yakuza (with Qantas pjs underneath) but can't decide what shoes to wear. Are the room shoes allowed out of the room or not? Decide on the toe socks and survive. It's rice and stuff, green and pink and amazing looking I try a bit of everything, like the egg and fish steak the best. The miso soup is divine and has small clam shells in it. A bit of a stretch from my usual breakfast but quite doable. I love the whole ritual of sitting down to such a beautifully prepared meal.

The second new thing is its time to catch a train, but first I have to get to the station, right, right, left but oops end up in the wrong direction, google maps is my friend and puts me back on track. Right, its Ginza G orange, towards Shibuya. Jane’s training from London is ringing in my ears. The train arrives within a few seconds and whisks me away. Why is everyone so quiet, I know it's Sunday morning, but really I want to take photos. Oooh, and video that cool interactive screen that explains the line, stations and exits. Now it's time to change trains, done. One more stop and I have arrived at my start point Harajuku.

Alas, there are no cosplayers on the bridge, so off to Meiji Shrine I go, the sky is bright and blue however it is freezing under the big trees on the path up to the shrine. Bowing at each gate, doing the hand and mouth wash before entering and saying a prayer are all part of the experience. It's peaceful, impressive and very traditional. I even saw a bride getting ready in the most elaborate dress and a head piece that looked like she was going to topple over if she moved quickly.

Now for a complete change of pace, let's see where the youth of Tokyo shop for the latest fashion trends on Takeshita Dora. Its narrow, packed with people and very strange. Crepes are also a thing in this area, I am deciding should I get one and realised I am standing in a line. So that seemed to make the decision. No.1 is my pick, banana, chocolate and cream. Good choice.

More exploring and then I end up getting taken along with the crowds and ejected into Yoyogi Park, known for hip-hop dancers and rockabilly rehearsals. Today it's all hanami parties under the cherry blossoms, people walking their rabbits and taking their dogs for a ride in baby strollers.

Onwards we go to the final destination for today Shibuya. More shopping, more exploring and be still my beating heart. Finally, an invader! Ten extra points for a new city. Happy days.

Five roads converge to create Shibuya Crossing, rumoured to be the busiest intersection in the world. Thousands of pedestrians have just 3 minutes to cross the roads and it all works like clockwork. Masses are merging and emerging on the other side. Tourists take advantage on any high point to capture the spectacle. Of course, I try out each side, each high point and climb into gardens with the best of them until I am satisfied. It's all a bit intense, that's enough for me I'm heading back to the quieter side of Tokyo.

Ahh, this is the life finishing off the day with a hot tub soak in the communal baths, chatting with a Russian lady who lives in New York.

4 comments:

  1. You are sounding like a very expert traveller these days ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not so sure I left my wallet behind in a store yesterday. Went straight back inside and the lady was waiting for me to hand it back. Japan is the one country where you can make that kind of mistake (thank fully).

      Delete
  2. Loved the post, especially the breakfast adventure, and looking at the pics. Q... why here and not FB?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you are enjoying, yes everything is an adventure here from opening chocolate bars to checking out all the crazy buttons on the toilets. When I started blogging my travels in 2012 I did not use Facebook much. The blog seems to have become part of my travels now and I like the diary format to look back at.

      Delete