Wednesday 5 April 2017

Good things come in red packages

Senso-ji temple

Yuriko, our guide - has lived in Amercia, 
trained in kimino and tea ceremony, 
all round lovely person




Quail eggs

The main intersection in Ginza and this guy blocks
or adds to my photo, you decide

Nissan concept car


My package of happiness

More cherry blossoms, can't get enough
Today’s the day, I have already met my tour buddies at breakfast, 7 Americans and a Puerto Rican. Lets go. Our guide, Yuriko sets off for Sensoji it is the oldest and most significant temple in Tokyo. It's lovely in the early morning light with smaller crowds. We bow as we enter via the gate and now Yuriko shows us how to cleanse our hands and mouth before we enter the temple. Its lovely to walk around and explore with someone who understands the traditions and can explain them so well.

Next stop on the tourist trail is Roppongi Hills, a big property development in the centre of Tokyo with a 50+ floor high skyscraper with 360 degree views. I can see all the spots I have been to so far and there is so much more to see. The architecture in Tokyo is very different, a lot of the buildings I like are by Kenzo Tange.  Who I learn is a very famous Japanese architect.

My first for today is something you probably don’t want to know about. Here I am on the 52nd floor in the middle of a massive city and I can't figure out how to flush the toilet. There are buttons for music and washing, but flushing is just not happening. Fail.

We are all flagging now, a quick train ride to Ginza and we are here, the most expensive real estate in Japan, some people say the world. Whisked up to the 6 floor we have a traditional meal of Kushikatsu, which is fried skewers. Oishii (delicious). 

Finally we are let out on the streets of Ginza first stop is the Nissan concept store, then up to the Sony store to look like a real dork with a Sony camera around my neck. Then a very fancy paper store, Tokyo Kyukyodo and the best jewellery store I have been into in all my trips, Tasaki. Now let's just check out the department store, Mitsukoshi.  

Before I even get 10 steps into the store I have fallen in love with the scarves, hankies, little towels (that all Japanese carry) and furoshiki (wrapping cloth). The patterns and colours are exquisite, exactly why I wanted to visit Japan. I settle on a beautiful floral pattern with blues and pinks, but then my new best friend Yui, helps me walk around the department and we compare colours and sizes and debate the options. Settling back on the first one we picked. Nothing is too much trouble, at this point I am giddy with shopping endorphins. 

But wait there is more, now to the counter, please select which colour cover I want, red. Scarf folder and slipped ever so nicely into package. Now select which bow I prefer, gold. Then it is presented back in the typical Japanese way with two hands and I feel like I have been part of some private ritual. Its a real treat. 

Our final leg for the day is a river cruise is one of my favourite activities in a new city as you get to sit down and still see new things. Alas the boat is packed so I stand at the back to make sure I can take every photo possible. You do know that if I don’t take a photo it did not happen. The cherry blossoms along the river are just divine. News from home the ABC is reporting the cherry blossoms this year are the best for a long time.

Now it's time to for an early night. Tomorrow is an early start and my first ride on a Shinkansen (bullet train).


2 comments:

  1. It never fails to amaze me how you get so much done in a day. All the sightseeing then doing your blog and labelling the photos - don't know how you fit it all in. It all looks spectacular especially the cherry blossoms. Have a supa time. J & J.xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Japanese economy resurrected by one Australian woman on a shopping frenzy!!

    ReplyDelete