Monday 8 June 2015

Gone to Gatwick

4 lanes of slooow traffic

Where am I going

Nice leather seats on Airbus A320

Amazing bridge over runway

Its 6am and the car is here, time to wheel out the bag and head for Gatwick airport. My driver smoothly takes off and asks what time my flight is. I say 9am and he says oh, oh we might not make it. Hmm, some international traveler I am not being able to work out the correct time to leave for an airport.
Off we go heading for the A25 – the orbital freeway around London, there is traffic but it seems ok. What is he panicking about? Now we get to the freeway and slow down, 4 lanes of traffic, trucks, work vans you name it. Speeds go up and down, up, down, up and on it goes. I see signs for Hester Castle and think that might be a nice place to visit if I miss the one flight today to my destination. Now we are on first name basis and Ally sees a sign for Brighton and asks if I want to go there for an ice cream instead. Might be a good idea.
Ally suggests I check in online as we drive slowly past big green fields with black and white cows. We make it to the next turn, then crawl 8 long miles to the final turn and then road to the airport is clear!
Ok we have made it. Time to say goodbye to Ally and negotiate the bag up the ramp to British Airways. The line for baggage drop is about a mile long, and I know all too well how long a mile is now. Its funny hearing all the different places people are going, a big family is late for Jersey and there is a problem with people going to Algeirs. BA people are so friendly and helpful, bags done and time to find the departure entrance.
Through departures and a quick duty free shop for essential Christian Dior products that ED has got me addicted to.  Time to check what gate my fight leaves from its 101. Off I go following the signs to 101. I am going on escalator high up in the air way above ground level. Why? They can’t have planes boarding like in a parking garage can they? Once at the top I realise it is a bridge over the runway. All space age and white. I walk about another mile, a common theme for the trip and see planes taxiing under where I am walking. Pretty cool. I spot my gate and see the A320 pull in. I am ready, Captain lets go.


1 comment:

  1. You could never miss a plane :) cool bridge that would be unreal to be on with plane taxiing underneath. Looking forward to the next instalments from Canberra. They even warmed it up to a balmy 14 for me here today.

    ReplyDelete