Monday 8 June 2015

The Crazy Cousins

My first glimpse of Malta

The Crazy Cousins with photos of themselves
 from 50 years ago

From left: Anglea, Paul
and Monica on porch at home

St Pauls, Rabat

Inside of St Pauls, Rabat

Entrance to Mdina

Paul showing how narrow some of the
lanes are

Mosta Dome, how beautiful

Does life get any better than this? Eating passittizi for dinner!
My instructions are to look for two silver haired ladies and a good looking bloke over the age of 16. The first people I see match the description!
I have found my family and off we go into the Maltese heat. Paul takes us on a long detour around the harbour and Valletta area. Everything is made of stone, rock walls and all the same colour. Malta is so different to anywhere else I have ever been.
Finally we are home, its good to get into the coolness of home. Peels of laughter, joy and amazement over photos that I have brought from home that has been sent to my grandparents by relatives. I think Monica is stealing my photos.
The day has cooled down so now we head back out to explore. First stop is Rabat, the church St Pauls had a fiesta yesterday. Its is amazing inside, so decorative, even chandeliers.
Time to move on and we arrive at Mdina, the silent city. Mdina is a medieval walled town, in the centre of the island and was the capital up until the 15th century. Paul and I are walking across the moat to the entrance and the bishops car drives by, he has his own special number plates.
Paul and I are running around taking photos and checking out all the side streets, Monica and Angela keep leap frogging us with their slow and steady pace. We hear the bells of the cathedral and sprint down to get in before it closes. The churches in Malta are just breathtaking. We make it right to the end of Mdina and look out to see how urbanized Malta is along the coast.
Back to Rabat we go for passittizi. Ricotta for Angela and I, peas for Monica and Paul.

What a great introduction to Malta!

No comments:

Post a Comment