Wednesday 24 June 2015

Walking a London mile

Royal Academy of Arts - Summer Exhibition

Royal Academy of Arts - Summer Exhibition

Hatchards book store

Back in the hustle and bustle
that is London

In Cool Britannia shop looking for
George and Charlotte 

Only statute of Shakespeare in London

Every man and his dog
chillaxing at Somerset House

Logging invader find
It’s another sunny day in paradise. We get off the train and with the traditional wave to Nelson we are back in the thick of things. A quick check out of the 4th plinth and we are now on our way to the first stop for today the Royal Academy of Arts.
My main reason for the visit is to experience the rooms where so many debates about great and not so great art have happened, from pre Raphaelites bothering the establishment to minimalist sculptures falling apart. The summer exhibition that has the best of current British art is a side line to this activity, but turns out to be a really good exhibition. You can see all the works in exhibition online.
Jane departs and I go on into the throngs of people, buses and cars along Piccadilly. It’s actually nice to be back in a city where most people are polite and there is no pushing and shoving. Even English accents are pleasant to hear. Gee, that makes me sound very parochial.
Next stop on my Tour de London is Hatchards, the oldest book shop in London, from here it goes on and on, Fortnum and Mason, Maison Assouline, Coventry Street -that is starting to look like Times Square, Foyles, TK Max, late lunch with my friend William, Phoenix Garden, Fabriano, Covent Garden, Radley all my favorite places plus a few more for good measure.
Very pleased with my navigation skills I seem to have all the landmarks of London seared into my brain and have made it easily from place to place. The apple watch has just told me I have had an achievement day and this is my most activity to date. No wonder my feet are throbbing. But must press on.
After looking in vain all around Berlin, finally I have found an invader to log on the flashinvaders game via my phone. This one we saw in 2012. But darn, the phone signal will not work, I am trying in vain to pick up a wifi network without a password, nothing is working, frustrating. I will try anyhow, the app gives me a message invader saved, we will see what happens when I get back onto wifi.
Back to Charing Cross station laden with packages. Time to pick up some dinner in M & S and there is still 7 minutes till the train, lets get this weeks Lady and my shopping list for today is complete. Even managed to buy a pair of gum boots with dogs on them.
At Ladywell Lodge, on wifi, load the Invader app and yes success I now have two cities on my invader list! Night all.


No comments:

Post a Comment